Friday 12 April 2013

Evaluation Draft

Q1:
The main purpose of my script was to show either a disruption or resolution to a sequel or prequel to the films that I decided to study (Stakeland and Twilight) I decided to make a sequel to Stakeland. I had to make sure that I was demonstrating that in the horror genre things have to change to keep them interesting and engaging for the audience. I decided to make a disruption to the film and called it Stakeland 2: Evolution (As the genre is evolving). As I also had been studying Twilight I got some ideas from it as it breaks many conventions which you would associate with the horror genre and in particular Vampires, which is what my sequel is about. These areas are visually show through the 9 key frames which I had done. For this I got my actors dressed and in the write location with suitable props and lighting too.

Q2:
The main way in which I broke conventions was by looking back at all of the different vampire films I had watched re watching them and thinking about how I could flip some aspects upside down. I done this by making the vampire a women as in most films the vampire is male and mainly preys on the females, so what I have done gives women the power, this is shown I'm my nine key frames by having her kill Josh (The leader of the group you follow). I have also broke a big convention that surrounds the entire sub genre of Vampires by giving the vampire the ability to easily survive in the light this is shown in all but one of my key frames as the vampire is standing in the light. I have broke a convention which is apparent in some films which makes the vampires look like zombies, my vampire is very human like and apart from the distinct fangs you would not be able to tell that she is a vampire.

Q3:
When looking at locations at which I could get my 9 key frames the ideas I had changed when looking at the practicality of some shots and also the areas I could do them in. For me this was really reflected by my script because as I was writing it I kept having to go back and change the locations where the scene was set. In the end when I had finally decide son a location which could easily fit the key frames I was aiming to get. When scouting for a suitable location I had to keep in mind how I could break genre conventions, the location I decided to go with I thought worked very well as it was set in a woods which is a typical location, but the trees did not have any leaves which let light shine through which I believed that I could use very well as vampires aren't suppose to be out in the daylight as it kills them, so I could do it so that they survived in the light. As I was doing the sequel to Stakeland I looked closely at the locations used in the film and wanted to keep it similar and a large portion of the film was set in a woods so I knew that it would work. In one part of the film they mention that the vampires could not survive in the cold and the fact that were I took the photos for my location report had snow in it so it worked out really well. When I decided on my location I started to think bout some of the shots I could use so I kept most of my shots as mid shots and long shots so you could see the background but I used one close up of the vampires mouth in one shot. One if the shots I used was when I took the picture of the vampire embracing the sunlight I had to make sure that there was an opening in in the trees above so that it let in the appropriate light and if not use some artificial lighting.

Q4:
I believe that my script and nine key frames was rather successful in fulfilling what I set out to achieve, I believe that I done well in breaking some if the conventions to show how genres have to adapt over time to help satisfy and interest a new age audience. Being part of this new audience and as well as watching many old films I knew what was becoming old and predictable and started to think about what could surprise the new audience and engage them. I think that the language used in the script was modern but easily understandable so it got my point across easily, I also had the characters pick up on the broken conventions by having them say stuff like they didn't think that the vampires done is or could do that. My nine key frames really supported my script as I picked out the important parts for example; showing the cold and embracing sunlight. One thing that I would improve on if I was to redo this task would defiantly be costume, this was because the initial costume ideas that I had we're impractical due to the weather, although I had checked the forecast in advance the British weather is very unpredictable and it was extremely cold so I had to think about the actors well being and health. As the location was quite muddy I had to have the actors in suitable foot ware (Wellington boots) but tried my best to keep them out of the shots. I believe that it worked very well as a sequel as it followed most of the concepts of the first film, although it is based around a separate set of characters they still have the same goal from the first film (to get to 'New Eden') but they find out that it is not all that they expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment